Tuesday 10 April 2012

Painting..

   I painted our second living room last week. It's painted to match the first so they flow into each other. I still love the color scheme, but I'm ready to move on to another color. I think next up is the dining room (terra cotta). Which I'm not looking forward to. There is a lot of patching to be done in that room. Marc says we should just rip it all out and put up new sheet rock. That would be fine if we would actually do that in a timely manner, we wont. I think I'm just going to patch and paint it. This time I'm waiting for my mom to have time to help. She's normally my painting buddy, but hasn't had a chance to help yet in this house. I'm happy for her willingness, painting solo is a sloooow process. I do really like my imperfect walls though, I feel like they even have character! While I was filling the tens of nail holes in the second living room I couldn't help but think about how each one of them probably held something special at one point. Photos and decorations that the previous mother thought were special enough to display! There's over a hundred years of memories in these walls, it's amazing to think about it like that. I love when I come across something that shows that kids grew up here, like a child's name etched into the bottom of a drawer in the living room! It makes it feel like a home and not just a house.
    Recently, the Lottery was really huge and I over heard a couple ladies talking about it at the store. They were contemplating what they were going to do with the money. As I drove home I couldn't help but think about the same thing. In the end I came to the conclusion that I love this house enough that I didn't want to spend any of it on building a new one and I didn't know what else I could do with the money. It even made me a little sad to think about hiring out all the work that needs to be done in it. I want to learn how to do things like tile, and grout, and sheet rock (okay maybe not sheet rock). I feel like its just another chapter in our story that will help to mold my family's memories. So I just didn't play. ;-)
   This week's painting project, since I'm putting off the dining room, is going to be our picket fence! One of my sister-in-laws is helping me plan the garden and I can't wait to get it going! Now if only the weather would cooperate!

No comments:

Post a Comment